Sure, matzo brei is delicious – but have you tried chocolate matzo brei? Stacey Hart shares one of her Pesach favourites—a sweet twist on a classic dish. And best of all, this recipe is simple enough that children can make it with just a little bit of supervision.
- 1 large egg
- 1 large square matzo cracker
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 ripe banana
- Chocolate spread
- Break the matzo into large bite size pieces and put into a bowl.
- Pour cold water on the top of the matzo to cover it.
- Leave for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl mash half of your banana (or use a blender to puree it).
- In another larger bowl crack the egg.
- Squeeze out the excess water from the matzo with your hands and put the matzo in the bowl with the egg.
- Add 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder.
- Add the mashed banana.
- Whisk together with a fork until combined.
- Children can do these first steps largely on their own, but an adult should take over for the next few.
- In a small saucepan add a little butter and melt gently.
- When the pan is medium hot carefully pour in the Matzo Brei mix.
- Fry for around 1 ½ - 2 mins each side until cooked but not burnt!.
- Slide off onto a plate.
- Top with chocolate spread and the other half of the banana sliced or diced
- Eat straight away!
April 14, 2019