In the Chanukah story one tiny jar of oil keeps the lamps burning for eight full nights. Since Chanukah celebrates this miracle, it's traditional to eat foods fried in oil as part of the festivities.
Chocolate Hazelnut spread (Nutella)
Banana, sliced in rounds to make coins
1 egg, beaten
*Optional: Powdered sugar
- In a large sauté pan (or electric skillet), add oil until it is about 1 inch deep. Heat over medium/high heat (between 375 and 400 degrees).
- Lay wonton wrapper flat. Add 1 teaspoon of Nutella, and top with a banana coin.
- Dip your finger in the egg, and run it along the edges of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper in half to form a triangle. Push down the edges to seal.
- Fry each wonton packet in oil, about one minute per side, and drain on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Optional: Top with a dusting of powdered sugar.
- Serve immediately.
If you're making these for a guest with a nut allergy, swap out the Nutella for sunbutter or Wowbutter.
November 14, 2017