Not sure what to do with all of those broken crayon ends? Turn them into fun candles to give out as holiday gifts.
Like the PJ Library Facebook page to watch LIVE cooking demos of recipes and activities!
- Old crayons
- Plastic bag
- Muffin tin
- Tealight candle wicks (available at your local craft store)
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees.
- Remove wrappers from crayons. Soaking crayons in water makes this easier.
- Fill plastic bag with crayon pieces and start smashing!
- Coat muffin tin with cooking spray. Fill each cup about ¾ full with smashed crayon pieces.
- Bake crayon mixture for 8-20 minutes until the wax is melted. Melting times vary depending on the brand of crayons.
- Remove from oven and let wax cool. After a few minutes, push a wick into the centre of your candle (it should still be liquid but firm).
- Tip: If you don’t insert a wick, you’ll have giant “crazy crayons” that you can use to colour or decorate cards.
- Let candles set until hard. Freeze for 10 minutes, then turn upside down to remove.
Don’t forget to share photos of your Chanukah crafts and recipes with other PJ families. Use #pjlibrary on Facebook!
November 16, 2020